By our Psychologists, Dr Barbara Haddon, Nicola Mitchell and Mental Health Social Worker, Fiona Cuskelly
Don’t let unhelpful, worrisome thoughts weigh you down! With National Mental Health Week almost here (October 6 to 12) and World Mental Health Day on the 10th October, it’s time to look after yourself. Particularly since the final quarter of 2013 is now upon us, you have the opportunity to look ahead to the new year start to create what you want in your life that makes you happy. Here’s some tips that may help you start to take action:
1) SPACE – Respond more, react less – Create space through mindfulness.
2) MEANING – Seek Meaning in Life’s Experiences – Be more curious than judgemental.
3) INSPIRATION – Rediscover what inspires you – Seek to inspire others.
4) LEARNING – Never stop learning – Ask “What I can learn from this?”
5) EMOTION – Emotions are contagious, share the good ones. Develop your empathy skills.
6) SUPPORT – Stay in touch with friends. Ask for help, its an honour for others to give.