As another Valentines Day rolls around and our thoughts turn to love lets consider this; ‘What if I loved myself and gave myself the same level of care I give to the special people in my life?’
If we’re honest, the first thing feeling that comes to mind is guilt, right? In a society that thrives on self-interest and self-entitlement how is it that we still don’t allow time to care for ourselves? Lets take a minute to imagine how just 5 simple acts of kindness to yourself could positively affect your life and the lives of those closest to you:
1. Go to bed an hour earlier. Leave the unfolded washing, the mindless TV show and any other to do lists. Can you imagine how much happier and easier your day would be with an extra hour’s sleep the night before?
2. Join a class or a group like yoga, dance or cooking, where your time is YOURS ALONE. Make the commitment to learn a new skill and put it on the calendar- it’s your time for your self improvement which will in turn boost your self-confidence and re-ignite your passions.
3. Be grateful. Each night, (when you are lying in bed an hour earlier) think over the myriad of things you have to be grateful for that day. Even the darkest days have some light in them – make the decision to find them. Your own gratitude will subconsciously rub off on those around you creating a happier environment for everyone.
4. Have a massage, facial or pedicure. This is an obvious one, but its’ not just the pampering aspect of a treatment that is important, its the strength and connectivity that is passed through touch. We too often will go an entire day without touching one other person, that’s not how humans were made!
5. Repeat your own private mantra of self-love and self-worth. For example ‘ I will receive the gifts that I was born with, as well as those the universe offers me on a daily basis, and I will share those gifts with the world’, or ‘10% of life is what happens to me, 90% is how I react’.
Don’t let another day go by, care for yourself today. Let go of the guilt and create space for love.