By Stacey Foat (Bch. Nut. Med, Adv. Dip Nat) – Naturopath & Nutritionist and Dr Chris Robson (MBBS, FRACGP, C.DEC) – GP
The annual flu shot is now available with our GP, Dr Robson, so book in now to help prevent the flu come winter. Remember it is provided free of charge if you are over 65 years old, have a chronic illness or are pregnant. The vaccine is only $20 for those not eligible for the government funded vaccine.
However, if you prefer a more natural approach to building up your immunity this flu season, then here are some handy tips:
• Do some regular exercise – filling your lungs with fresh air helps rid your body of unwanted toxins and decreases your stress levels. Stress is a big factor in reducing your immunity.
• Eat immune boosting foods with plenty of Zinc and Vitamin C. Other examples are garlic, onion, goji berries, spirulina, almonds (any foods green or red in colour are great!)
• If you know that you have low immunity, get an immune test with a Naturopath to help you improve it now and prevent you from getting sick later.
• Get a massage – it actually stimulates your immune system and increased blood flow and detoxification through touch. It also helps you relax and reduces your stress levels.
• Prevention is always better than cure – see a Chiropractor as they help to maintain wellness during peak body demands, increase energy levels and helps with sleeping.