How to Help Badly Behaved Children – By Aubri Hathaway, Occupational Therapist, Yoga Teacher & Intuitive Health Coach
Do you have a kiddo that is always on the go and can’t seem to stop? Does your guy or gal seems to get easily overwhelmed, breakdown and often run or crashing into objects, furniture or people and seem to be “clumsy”. Do they have trouble getting started or completing activates without help or lots of frustration? Are they often “bossing around” other friends and family members instead of participating in novel play and social activities? Maybe they even appear to lose their words or language when they get frustrated.
If your kiddo has more than on of these challenges, and appears to be having trouble accessing school, home, and social life as a result, they may have Sensory Processing Challenges.
In addition to checking in with a Paediatric Occupational Therapist, here are some Fun and easy kid friendly activities that will help balance their beautiful brain body connection.
1. Blow Bubbles ( long big breaths to slow the nervous system down)
2. Play Bean Bag toss with heavy weighted bags with varying weights ( Heavy weights help activate a system in the body the calms the nervous system, and this also works on brain body integration)
3. Do Kids Yoga
4. Build an obstacle course together using limited objects to encourage starting, sequencing and completing a novel activity and ending the movement system ( vestibular)
5. Use visual supports. A visual schedule for kids with scattered energy and difficulty planning and transitioning can do wonders. Using images is even better. Can cut our pictures of common activities for the day and place Velcro on them so they can be reused and moved around. Just like you Kids like to know what’s coming.
6. Use a chart to go through the feelings and needs when language is lost or signs of tantrum are emerging. You can also cut the steps into strips and make a flip book.
What ever you end up using, remember that there is always a solution to any challenge waiting for you and your kiddo. Breath, Relax and the way will show up for you.
Aubri Hathaway MA, OTR/L